This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2293 / 53°13'45"N
Longitude: -1.8284 / 1°49'42"W
OS Eastings: 411555
OS Northings: 370262
OS Grid: SK115702
Mapcode National: GBR 462.DLG
Mapcode Global: WHCD4.W3J6
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 12 July 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80493
Location: Chelmorton, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, SK17
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Chelmorton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Chelmorton and Flagg St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 17 SW PARISH OF CHELMORTON MAIN STREET
2/63 (East Side)
12.7.1967 Church of St John the
Church. C13, C14, restored 1869 by H Currey. Coursed, squared gritstone to chancel
and tower. Coursed limestone with gritstone dressings to rest. Plain tile and
slate chancel roof. Slate north aisle roof. Stone slabs to south porch, other
roofs leaded. Embattled western tower with projecting north west stair turret. Nave
with lower north aisle and south porch. South transept and embattled two bay chancel.
Low, two stage tower with setback stepped buttresses to three sides. Stringcourse over.
Twin, cusped headed bell openings under square hood, on all sides. Louvred with stone
slates. Oversailing, embattled parapet over. Recessed, octagonal stone spire with
twin, louvred lucarnes to four sides. North nave aisle has two C19 cusped lancets.
Blank clerestory wall and embattled parapet over. North chancel wall has stepped
plinth, and gabletted buttresses to west side of two Perp 2-light cusped headed
window with pierced spandrels. Flat hood with return stops over. Moulded string-
course and embattled parapets over. South chancel similar, with additional pointed
doorcase. Windows C19 copies. C19 panel tracery east window with dripmould over.
Diagonal, gabletted, buttresses either side. South transept has Y-tracery window
to east, triple stepped lancets to south, both c1300. Beyond to west CI9 south
porch. To either side, C19 cusped lancets. Above, C19 cusped headed windows.
Interior - three bay south arcade of c1200 with octagonal columns moulded capitals
and double, chamfered, semi-circular arches. Similar four bay north arcade of c1300.
Arches now pointed. Pointed arch added to south arcade into south transept c1300.
Blocked, pointed, chamfered tower arch. Perp chancel arch, continuously moulded
soffit. Pilasters and capitals to sides. Remains of Perp stone rood screen.
Blank cusped ogee arcade with pierced quatrefoils over Early C20 wooden screen in
similar style above. In chancel, to west, cusped ogee piscina. To east double
cusped ogee sedilla under square hood. Quatrefoil patterns on seats, both mid C17.
Various wall memorials included fine white marble one of 1683 for Georgius Dale.
Similar memorial to Swan family of 1740. Stained glass east window of I880 by Jones
and Wallis. Cusped, trefoil, piscina to north nave aisle east wall. Octagonal
Perp font with moulded base, and cusped decorated panels over. Painted charity
plaques of 1740 and 1821.
Listing NGR: SK1155570262
Other nearby listed buildings