This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2006 / 53°12'2"N
Longitude: -1.8657 / 1°51'56"W
OS Eastings: 409071
OS Northings: 367070
OS Grid: SK090670
Mapcode National: GBR 352.9ER
Mapcode Global: WHCD4.9TV6
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 12 July 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109268
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80504
Location: Hartington Middle Quarter, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, SK17
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Hartington Middle Quarter
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Earl Sterndale St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 06 NE PARISH OF HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER EARL STERNDALE
4/74 (East Side)
12.7.1967 Church of St Michael
Church. 1828-9 by G E Hamilton, chancel by R R Duke, 1877, Partly rebuilt 1950-2
after war damage. Coursed squared limestone with gritstone dressings and rock-faced
quoins. Slate roofs. Ridgeback copings to gable walls. Three stage embattled
western tower, aisle-less nave, small north vestry and narrow single bay chancel.
Wide, pointed south door to tower with deeply recessed continuous moulding . Above
four centred arched window with cavetto architrave and moulded dripmould over. Modern
clock faced just above. Third stage has similar, but wider, opening to window
below, with louvres. Similar bell openings to all but east side of tower. Large
west window with cusped panel tracery and four centred arched top. Embattled parapets
to tower. South nave wall has three pointed windowswith chamfered Y-tracery. Small
pointed single light window to chancel. Twin lancet east window. Above chancel,on
nave gable,plaque inscribed: 'Built AD 1823. Restored AD 1877'. North wall has
two four centred arched windows with dripmoulds. Interior - completely rebuilt in
1950s. Crude stone font with vertical bands in relief. Probably C12.
Listing NGR: SK0907167070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings