This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0674 / 53°4'2"N
Longitude: -1.7381 / 1°44'17"W
OS Eastings: 417648
OS Northings: 352276
OS Grid: SK176522
Mapcode National: GBR 483.RDP
Mapcode Global: WHCDZ.85L8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 September 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80409
Location: Tissington and Lea Hall, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Tissington and Lea Hall
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Tissington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 17 52 PARISH OF TISSINGTON RAKES LANE
11/139 (East Side)
13.9.1967 Church of St Mary
Church. C12 and 1854, perhaps by Stevens. Coursed limestone with gritstone
dressings. Slate roofs. Lead roof to north aisle. Nave with north aisle and
south porch, chancel and west tower. Heavily buttressed west tower of four stages
with dentil corbels and plain parapet with C19 corner pinnacles. Buttresses to
the top of the second stage, one to the north, two each to west and south sides,
of varying height and profile. Top stage has a square bell opening to each face.
On the south side to the second stage is a narrow C12 lancet with roll moulding.
Above the bell opening is a gargoyle. Nave and chancel south side, left to right.
Buttress with three set-offs. Small 2-light window with pointed but slightly
rounded lights under a flat head with dripmould. 2-light much restored Dec
window above with flat head and cusped ogee lights. Linked at intermediate height
to the right a single light window with round-arched tracery under a flat head
with dripmould. Gabled porch with semi-circular arch with chamfered imposts and
quoins. Six panelled raised and fielded double doors. To the right, a C19
narrow single semi-circular headed lancet and a wider single light window with
semi-circular arch standing on colonnettes. To the right a wall memorial with
draped urn, 1838. The chancel is lower and narrower. Wall memorial with draped
urn, 1791. Neo-Norman single light window with roll moulding and hoodmould with
stops. Sundial. The whole of the south side has battlements. East wall with
a single neo-Norman window with a roll moulding on colonnettes and hoodmould
with stops. The chancel north side with battlements and a single window, as on
the south side. North aisle entirely of 1854 with four neo-Norman lancet lights
with continuous roll mouldings. Four similar, but much smaller, windows to the
clerestory. Plain parapet to the aisle, plain parapet on corbels to the
clerestory. North aisle, east window is the same as the north windows but the
west window is more elaborate with an inner order of zig zag and an outer order
of a roll moulding on colonnettes. Hoodmould with billet moulding and stops.
Interior - Four bay north arcade. Round piers with round abaci. Arches with two
steps. Tripartite windows in the north aisle with smaller blind windows each
side of the window. Norman chancel arch. Monument to Francis and Sir John
Fitzherbert, died 1619 and 1643 respectively. Two tiers of kneeling figures.
Columns at the angles, Ionic below, Corinthian above. Achievement and obelisks
at the top. Other C17 to C19 monuments to the Fitzherberts. Early C17 communion
rails with turned balusters. C18 pulpit. Painted board with coat of arms, one
above the south door and one above the chancel arch. Two C18 prayer
boards. Panelled dado along the south wall. Norman, tub-shaped font with incised
Listing NGR: SK1764852276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings