History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Parwich, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0861 / 53°5'9"N

Longitude: -1.7202 / 1°43'12"W

OS Eastings: 418834

OS Northings: 354351

OS Grid: SK188543

Mapcode National: GBR 47Y.HX6

Mapcode Global: WHCDS.KP1J

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109332

English Heritage Legacy ID: 80344

Location: Parwich, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Parwich

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Parwich St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Parwich

Listing Text

SK 18 54 PARISH OF PARWICH THE GREEN
10/72 (East Side)


Church of St Peter

GV II*

Church. 1873-4 by Stevens & Robinson, incorporating C12 parts. Coursed squared
rock-faced limestone with rock-faced and ashlar sandstone dressings, used to give a
polychromatic effect. Slate roofs with stone coped gables with crosses. West
steeple, nave with aisles and north porch, chancel with south aisle and north
vestry. Norman style. Chamfered plinth. West tower of four unequal stages,
divided by sandstone bands. Sandstone clasping buttresses linked at the top by
arched corbel tables. Ground stage of the west elevation with re-used C12 north
doorway. Nook shafts with beakhead type decoration. Single order of Chevron.
Incised tympanum with various animals, a lamb carrying a cross, a stag, each
standing on a serpent and with a bird and a pig above, and a lion eating its
tail. C19 hoodmould. Plank door with large metal C-hinges. Above the doorway,
a wheel window. North and South elevations have single lancet to the ground
stage. Narrow rectangular window above to each face. Two-light bell openings
to each face, with plate tracery. Nook shafts at the angles of the bell stage.
Broach spire with two tiers of lucarnes, big ones low down and tiny ones high
up. The south aisle runs the full length of the building with the lower chancel
roof carried over the aisle as a catslide. Six round-arched windows with a step
and a chamfer. Robust nave clerestory with four triplets divided by rock-faced
lesenes. Each bay with a triplet of chamfered round-arches with two colonettes
and a cinquefoil window in smooth stone surround, giving the effect of plate
tracery. Row of dentil corbels above. East and west windows of the south aisle
are of two round-arched lights with a central colonette. The chancel projects
slightly east of the south aisle and has gableted set-back buttresses. The east
window a triplet of steeply pointed arches, the centre one taller. The vestry
on the north side is gabled and is taller than the aisle, with a chimney on each
gable. To the east a cinquefoil window in a circle and to the north, a pair of
round-arched windows and a round-arched door. The north side of the nave is
similar to the south side, except for a north porch in a similar style, added
in 1911, The interior has a four-bay nave arcade with circular piers and semi-
circular responds, square abaci, croquet type capitals. Double chamfered arches.
Tile triplets of the clerestory are treated as arcades on. two detached shafts.
Tower arch, mostly re-used C12 parts. Inner order of chevron, a roll, a hollow and
a roll and an outer order of dogtooth. Chamfered imposts. Pointed chancel arch
with two roll mouldings, nook shafts with moulded capitals but with the main
arch carried through without capitals. Double chamfered arches to the north
and south of the chancel. East window with nook shafts. Dec style chancel
screen. Nave pews c1874, openwork, with cusped arches to the ends. Brass eagle
lectern. Tiled floor in the nave. Within the tower, three coffin lids set
into the south wall. C18 charity board above. Font with the date 1662 scratched
on polygonal bowl on a circular base. Stained glass - south aisle west 1901;
east window 1865 by Holland Son & Holt of Warwick


Listing NGR: SK1883454351

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.