History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Eaton and Alsop, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0931 / 53°5'35"N

Longitude: -1.7623 / 1°45'44"W

OS Eastings: 416015

OS Northings: 355127

OS Grid: SK160551

Mapcode National: GBR 47W.584

Mapcode Global: WHCDR.WJZ3

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 13 September 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109356

English Heritage Legacy ID: 80299

Location: Eaton and Alsop, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Eaton and Alsop

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Alsop-en-le-Dale St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Alstonfield

Listing Text

SK 15 NE PARISH OF EATON AND ALSOP DAM LANE
2/28 (South Side)

13.9.1967
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

GV II

Church. C12 remains but largely rebuilt in 1882-3 by F J Robinson. Coursed rubble
limestone with gritstone dressings. Slate roofs with stone ridge tiles and three
stone coped gables with plain kneelers, the east gable with a ridge cross. West
tower, nave and lower chancel. The tower is entirely of 1882 in the Norman Style.
Angle quoins. Single west lancet, a small square window with chamfered surround
to north and south sides. Bell Stage with string course below and parapet. Twin
bell openings within a superarch to each facade South side of the nave with a
small rectangular window and much restored C12 doorway of two orders, the inner one
plain and chamfered, the outer with double zigzag with triangular floral motif and
a motif of bead and lozenge. C19 plank door. To the right, a round-arched window
and a C19 aedicule wall memorial. South side of chancel with two plain C19 2-light
square headed windows. Crude C19 east window of 3-lights with Y-tracery with
trefoiled circles. North side of the nave with three small round headed windows
and at the junction of the nave and chancel a buttress with three set-offs and a
chimney. Interior with plain two-stepped tower arch. Chancel arch with
projecting C12 jambs and imposts and C14 arch above with a step and a chamfer. Small
piscina with triangle head and roll moulding in the chancel north wall. C19 tiled
floors. C19 pulpit richly decorated with pinnacles and a crocheted ogee.


Listing NGR: SK1601555127

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.