This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0411 / 53°2'27"N
Longitude: -1.6166 / 1°36'59"W
OS Eastings: 425803
OS Northings: 349382
OS Grid: SK258493
Mapcode National: GBR 5B0.644
Mapcode Global: WHCF1.4TGH
Entry Name: Blackwall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80085
Location: Kirk Ireton, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Kirk Ireton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Kirk Ireton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 24 NE KIRK IRETON BLACKWALL LANE
Farmhouse. Early-mid-C17, with later alterations and additions, re-furbished late C20. Coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings, brick gable stacks and a plain blue tile roof covering. FRONT (south ) ELEVATION: 2 storeys and attics, 3 bays rising from a shallow chamfered plinth with a lower single bay range added at the west end. Principal doorway to left with moulded quoined surround and massive lintel bearing inscription W.G' (William Glossop). Plain plank door, and, above the doorway a drip moulding. To the right, 2 and 3-light window openings, formerly mullioned, but now with small-paned horizontal sliding sashes set within C17 surrounds with dripmould above. 3 first floor openings of similar pattern. Rear elevation with catslide roof over service lean-to, with 3-light chamfer mullioned window to west wall. 2 light windows to first floor and attic levels to both gables, with C17 surrounds and C20 small -paned windows.
INTERIOR: Ground floor rooms with exposed spine beams and joists. Hearths remodelled in late C20 refurbishment. Main stair of unusual design, with polygonal finials to newel posts, and splat balusters to landing level, with a section of handrail bearing carved scroll patterning.
HISTORY: An inventory of 1604 lists the goods of the first William Glossop, but does not contain references to rooms in the house he occupied. 2 wills of descendants named William Glossop are dated 1647 and 1675.
Listing NGR: SK2580349382
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings