History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Carsington, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0775 / 53°4'39"N

Longitude: -1.6246 / 1°37'28"W

OS Eastings: 425242

OS Northings: 353429

OS Grid: SK252534

Mapcode National: GBR 59L.42J

Mapcode Global: WHCDV.0XM3

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 13 September 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109458

English Heritage Legacy ID: 80019

Location: Carsington, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Carsington

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Carsington St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Carsington

Listing Text

SK 25 53 CARSINGTON MAIN STREET
6/67 (North Side)
13.9.67 CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
GV II*


Church. 1648 with C19 porch. Limestone ashlar with gritstone dressings. Slate
roof behind embattled stone parapet, South porch of dressed gritstone with slate
roof and stone coped gables, surmounted by cross. Rectangular single cell building
of three bays with projecting south porch and north vestry at west end. South
facade has shallow plinth, two angle and one intermediate 5-stepped buttress to
parapet level. Two flat headed tripartite windows with cusping. Sundial set
into wall inscribed 'Re-edified 1648'. Stringcourse above. Porch has 2-light
ogee window and pointed moulded arch. Inner arched studded door. West gable
wall has another stepped buttress, a 2-light square headed window with segment
headed lights, bellcote at ridge. North wall similar to south without buttresses.
East wall has 3-light insecting tracery window with shallow relieving arch
above. Interior - nave and chancel in one. Wooden gallery at west end with
three fluted pilasters between raised and fielded panels resting on moulded
beam inscribed 'This loft was erected at the onely charge of S Philip Gell,
Baronett. Anno Domini 1704 by consent: of the parish at a meeting in Carsington:
for the use of his tenants in Hopton'. Nave has panelling to dado height. C19
king-post roof. Early C20 stained glass in the three eastern windows. Painted
coat of arms dated 1706. Stone font with octagonal raised and fielded cover
with finial.


Listing NGR: SK2524253429

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.