History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pilmoor Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Brafferton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1481 / 54°8'53"N

Longitude: -1.2868 / 1°17'12"W

OS Eastings: 446683

OS Northings: 472707

OS Grid: SE466727

Mapcode National: GBR MNGG.6S

Mapcode Global: WHD8X.6ZHW

Entry Name: Pilmoor Cottages

Listing Date: 13 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109667

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333399

Location: Brafferton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Brafferton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Easingwold with Raskelf

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Thormanby

Listing Text

SE 47 SE BRAFFERTON RACE LANE
2/55 (east side, off)

Nos 7-10 Pilmoor Cottages

II

Terrace of four houses. Dated 1843, for the Great North of England Railway Company.
Pinkish brick in irregular English garden wall bond; Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys,
1 wide bay each. Symmetrical facade with handed pairs of cottages, the paired doorways
flanked by windows. Openings have chamfered brick surrounds, the doors with Tudor-
arched heads and the side-sliding sash windows with chamfered brick cills and flat
brick arches; doors originally of battened boards, but all except No 7's now part-glazed
with fanlights; tall 16-pane windows to ground floor, 12-pane windows to 1st floor.
Above each pair of doorways is a raised, shield-shaped stone plaque bearing date
and initials of railway company. Shaped ashlar kneelers; ashlar coping with roll-moulded
ridge. Stacks to left end (rebuilt), centre (rebuilt) and right end, the latter
with cogged table beneath tripled polygonal flues with capstones. Rear: paired
doorways, as before, with flat brick arches, No 7's of battened boards, the rest
C20 part-glazed; to outer side of each a small 6-pane window and a large 12-pane
window, and on 1st floor a 2-light window with 4-pane sashes. At either end side
wall rises as parapet. No 7 unoccupied at time of survey.


Listing NGR: SE4668372707

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.