This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2688 / 52°16'7"N
Longitude: 1.493 / 1°29'34"E
OS Eastings: 638422
OS Northings: 269150
OS Grid: TM384691
Mapcode National: GBR XPM.L9M
Mapcode Global: VHM7G.T7ML
Entry Name: Barn About 50 Metres West South West of Strickland Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109679
English Heritage Legacy ID: 435838
Location: Yoxford, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Yoxford
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Yoxford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
The following item shall be added:
TM 36 NE YOXFORD HOGHILL LANE
20.1.89 Barn about 50 metres
0/D West South West of
Barn. Dated 1772. English bond red brick with tumbled brickwash in parapeted
gabled. Clay pantile roof with gabled ends.
Plan: 5 bay barn (10 narrow roof bays) with threshing floor in the central
bay and unusually large midstrey at the front, in the left hand angle of which
a stable with a loft above was added probably in the C19 and in the right
hand angle a single storey out-shut also probably C19.
Exterior: The east front has large gabled midstrey at the centre with a relatively
small doorway with segmental brick arch and plank double doors; above in the
gable a ventilation slit and initials "R.C" in large wrought iron letters.
To the left of the midstrey the stables with a central doorway, small loft
doorway above and weatherboarded gable. To the right an outshut with a lean-
to corrugated iron roof. The rear west elevation has central full-height
cart entrance with plank double doors and ventilation slit to right. There
are also ventilation slits in the end gables, the right hand (north) gable
has date "1772" in large wrought iron numbers. The south west corner of the
building is supported by 2 later brick raking buttresses.
Interior: The walls are of exposed brick. The original roof structure is
complete; 10 narrow bays, principal rafters with 2 tiers of staggered butt
purlins, morticed collars and tie-beams, complete set of common rafters without
a ridgepiece or ridgeboard. Similar 3-bay roof over large midstrey. The
roof is unaltered apart from the addition of 2 later inserted king-post trusses.
N.P. On the 20th January 1969 this building was spot listed in the 57th List
of Buildings of special architectural or historic interest in the District of
Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk.
Listing NGR: TM3842269150
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings