This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3474 / 53°20'50"N
Longitude: -1.6479 / 1°38'52"W
OS Eastings: 423534
OS Northings: 383443
OS Grid: SK235834
Mapcode National: GBR JYYQ.0S
Mapcode Global: WHCCN.N4G5
Entry Name: North Lees Hall
Listing Date: 29 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 81224
Location: Outseats, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, S32
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Hathersage
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Hathersage St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 28 SW PARISH OF OUTSEATS
29.9.51 North Lees Hall
Tower house with lower attached domestic range. Late C16, with some C19 refashioning,
and restored in 1965. Coursed rubble gritstone, rising from a chamfered plinth,
with quoins, embattled ashlar parapet with moulded merlons and formerly with a lead
roof, now with an asphalt covering. Tower house incorporates a taller stair tower to
north east corner, to which is attached a domestic two storey range to the north east.
Tower House, south east elevation; three storeys and parapet above basement. Stacked
6-light recessed hollow chamfer mullioned and transomed windows, the one to the first
floor beneath a hoodmould with stops, those to the ground and second floors beneath
continuous dripmoulds. C20 casements, those to ground floor openings with diamond
leaded lights to upper parts. Taller stair tower projects slightly to rear of main
tower with single lights within chamfered surrounds to light staircase half-landings,
North west elevation; projecting stack carried on corbels at height of first floor window
heads, and a wide doorway to ground floor with deep chamfers to jambs and lintel.
South west elevation has four 4-light hollow chamfer mullioned openings to north west
end, and three 3-light hollow chamfer mullioned and transomed windows to south east,
indicating a change in floor levels in the rear part of the tower. Full height stack
projects between windows, now truncated at parapet level, but with base for diagonal
stone chimneys. Domestic range adjoins the stair tower, and is possibly a later and
lower rebuilding of an earlier range. Stone slated roof with intermediate and end
stacks, and coped gables with moulded kneelers, Two storeys, three bays with advanced
gabled range off-centre, to north east of doorway, which has a moulded surround with a
plain planked door. , 3-light chamfer mullioned windows above doorways with casements.
Former C19 3-light mullioned and transomed window to gabled range, now with lower part
replaced by C20 joinery. C20 casement to opening with heavy lintel to north east end.
Interior; the tower is served by an oak newel stair, and has moulded stone doorcases
leading into the principal rooms, The ground and first floor rooms have moulded plaster
ceilings which, together with the rest of the interior, were extensively restored in
1965, The ground floor plaster work is dated 1594, with a moulded frieze and a
moulded soffit to the main spine beam, The first floor plaster work is more elaborate,
with moulded ceiling panels, as well as a frieze, and spine beam soffit. Both ground
and first floor rooms have moulded stone surrounds to the hearths and Tudor arched
head, and carved chamfer stops to the jambs.
Listing NGR: SK2353483443
This listing was enhanced in 2016 to mark the bicentenary of Charlotte Bronte’s birth.
Other nearby listed buildings