History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn at Longford Hall Farm

A Grade II* Listed Building in Longford, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9429 / 52°56'34"N

Longitude: -1.6815 / 1°40'53"W

OS Eastings: 421498

OS Northings: 338432

OS Grid: SK214384

Mapcode National: GBR 5C2.FPG

Mapcode Global: WHCFL.49J8

Entry Name: Barn at Longford Hall Farm

Listing Date: 13 June 1967

Last Amended: 19 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109788

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81259

Location: Longford, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Longford

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Longford St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Shirley

Listing Text

SK 23 NW PARISH OF LONGFORD LONG LANE
6/29 (North Side)
13.6.67 Barn at Longford Hall Farm
(formerly listed as 'Barn at
hall')
GV II*

Barn with stables incorporated. 1760 with C19 additions and C20 alterations. Built for
the Cokes of Longford Hall who were closely related to the Cokes of Holkham Hall. Red
brick with brick and stone dressings. Plain tile roofs with crowstepped stone coped
gables and moulded kneelers to 1760 barn, plus sawtooth eaves band, and plain stone
coped gables to early C19 addition. Six bays and single storey with advanced gabled
bays all along south elevation, two tall ones to either end with crowstepped gables
and four low early C19 ones to centre, These each have a segment headed blind arch
with a segment headed stable door within, except eastern one which has a later window.
To either side in tall bays are large segment head arches with stone keystones and
impost blocks, that to east now filled by C20 double doors and adjoining C20 windows
above, that to west with full height plank doors. Beyond to east, a similar tall bay
has segment headed door with plank door to west and inserted window to east, with plank
door in raised plain stone surround above. The equivalent western bay has an inserted
segment headed doorcase with plank door and a late C19 crowstepped gabled addition to
west. Above, a small C19 window in raised stone surround. West gable wall has an
elaborate pattern of diamond breathers and '1760 WC' picked out in breathers in the
gable. Interior has five braced king post trusses with side struts. C20 additions to
west and north.


Listing NGR: SK2149838432

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.