History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Raenstor Close and Attached Garage

A Grade II Listed Building in Youlgreave, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1774 / 53°10'38"N

Longitude: -1.6782 / 1°40'41"W

OS Eastings: 421605

OS Northings: 364527

OS Grid: SK216645

Mapcode National: GBR 585.VYT

Mapcode Global: WHCDF.6D3G

Entry Name: Raenstor Close and Attached Garage

Listing Date: 12 July 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109851

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81098

Location: Youlgreave, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Youlgreave

Built-Up Area: Youlgreave

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Youlgreave All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Youlgreave

Listing Text


20/21 63
20/21 64 PARISH OF YOULGREAVE ALPORT LANE
6/98 (South Side)
Raenstor Close and attached
12.7.67 garage

GV II


House. 1911 by H Ibberson. Dressed random gritstone with gritstone dressings and
quoins. Graduated green slate roof with moulded stone copings,which have large ridge
and eaves finials,and two stone ridge stacks and two external stacks, also several cast-
iron gutters with decorative hopper heads, four dated 1911. Domed bellcote on
turned balusters to roof of north tower. Two storeys, with attics to southern range,
L-plan with six bay garden front and three bay entrance front. Entrance front has
advanced central gabled bay with semi-circular arch with long keystone, set off-
centre to east, sheltering studded wooden double doors with long leaded side lights.
To east, single storey bay with 3-light flush mullion window, and beyond a square
tower set in corner between south and east ranges with semi-circular doorcase. To
west of central bay, a recessed section with a large central external stack with
small leaded window in, and between the stack and the central bay, a single storey
bay with plain doorcase and another small leaded window. Beyond stack to west, a
circular window with four keystones. Above in central bay, two 2-light flush mullion
windows either side of semi-circular keystoned niche with statuette on carved corbel.
To east, a 4-light flush mullion timber window with rendered panels either side, and
beyond, the tower has a double transomed 4-light grid-like window to west and similar
2-light window to north. Immediately above, set at an angle, a metal clock face. To
west, the external stack has angled sections to either side with small leaded windows.
Eastern range has a mixture of 2 and 3-light flush mullioned windows and a gabled
bay to north. Garden front has advanced bay window to west with 5-light chamfered
mullion and transomed window and to east a large semi-circular verandah with fluted
columns. Behind,the facade of the house has a flush quoined doorcase, lintel inscribed
'Deus Nobis Hec Ottia Fecit 1911', adjoining to east single light chamfered transomed
window with similar 2-light and single light windows beyond. Advanced gabled bay with
4-light chamfered mullion and transomed window with hoodmould to east, and beyond two
2-light similar windows, with continuous hoodmould over. Above bay window to west,
2-light chamfered mullion windows either side of recessed doorcase with plank door.
To east, one 3-light and one 4-light chamfered mullion window and similar four 4-light
window with hoodmould in advanced bay with similar 2-light window with hoodmould above
in gable. Beyond, to east, four semi-circular headed arches, three blocked with a
pattern of brick, tile and stone rubble, third arch to east with leaded light. To
extreme east, a 2-light chamfered mullion window. East gable has chamfered mullion
and transomed windows,whilst east range has 2, 3 and 4-light flush mullion windows.
Attached to north end, pair of double wooden gates curving upwards to centre, linking
house to garage of gritstone rubble with green slate roof which has enlarged double
doors to west with chequerwork of red brick and gritstone above in gable. Interior
has original panelling and C18 style dogleg staircase, also original green marble Arts
and Crafts style fireplace with leaded lintel decorated with Daniel in the Lions Den.
Plasterwork Zodiac bosses to ceiling of sitting room.


Listing NGR: SK2160564527

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.