This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2373 / 53°14'14"N
Longitude: -1.7898 / 1°47'23"W
OS Eastings: 414128
OS Northings: 371159
OS Grid: SK141711
Mapcode National: GBR 463.4B4
Mapcode Global: WHCCZ.GWYL
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 12 July 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109887
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80986
Location: Taddington, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, SK17
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Taddington
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Taddington St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 17 SW PARISH OF TADDINGTON MAIN ROAD
2/74 (North Side)
12.7.67 Church of St Michael
Parish Church. C14 and 1891 by Naylor and Sale of Derby. Rubble limestone with
gritstone dressings and quoins. Lead roofs with coped gables and parapets. Stone
slate roof to porch. West steeple, clerestoried nave with aisles, north vestry
and south porch. Chancel with north vestry. Tower and broach spire of gritstone,
early C14. Angle buttresses. Two narrow ogee-headed lights to west. Bell
openings of paired ogee lights under a flat head, to north, west and south. Spire
with two tiers of lucarnes. South elevation. Gabled porch with diagonal
buttresses, moulded inner and outer doorways. Chamfered stringcourse linking the
sills of the windows. Buttresses with two set-offs. Two 2-light windows to the
aisle, deeply set with square heads and mid C14 tracery. Two similar windows to
the chancel. 3-light south aisle east window with purely Dee tracery. Low prieits
doorway to the chancel. Three 2-light clerestory windows with cusped ogee lights
under a square head. North elevation,two windows to the aisle and one to the
chancel, similar to those on the South Side, and three similar clerestory windows.
North aisle east window of three lights with Dee tracery. East window of five
lights with Dee tracery. Inside, tall four bay arcades with octagonal piers,
moulded octagonal abaci and double chamfered arches. The east responds on head
corbels. Double chamfered chancel arch on head corbels. Modest double chamfered
tower arch. Earlier roof line visible above. In the chancel a piscina and triple
sedilia, the latter with ogee arches. Jacobean pulpit restored in 1942. On the
north side of the chancel a built-in C14 stone bible support or lectern. Brass
in the south aisle to Richard Blackwall died 1505. In the south aisle a plain
slate wall tablet to Sussana Roberts died 1833 by J Bradbury of Bakewell. Octagonal
font in the south aisle, probably C17. Font in the north aisle C14 or earlier.
At the west end of the north aisle two Benefaction boards dated 1773 and 1799.
C17 oak chest in the north aisle, Victorian Gothic wooden lectern. Traces of
wall painting on the west wall. The church was restored by Naylor and Sale in
1891. The north west vestry was built in 1939 using old materials from 'Thornsett',
a C16 house in Chelmorton.
Listing NGR: SK1412871159
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings