This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1554 / 53°9'19"N
Longitude: -1.6459 / 1°38'45"W
OS Eastings: 423774
OS Northings: 362084
OS Grid: SK237620
Mapcode National: GBR 58L.4PW
Mapcode Global: WHCDF.PYFD
Entry Name: Green House and Attached Garden Walls and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 12 July 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109893
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80998
Location: Birchover, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Birchover
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Birchover St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 26 SW PARISH OF BIRCHOVER THE GREEN
4/1 (South Side)
Green House and attached
garden walls and gate piers
House. 1774 with minor C20 repairs. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone
dressings and chamfered quoins. Stone slate roof with stone gable end stacks and
stone coped gables. Plinth and moulded eaves cornice, raised at corners over quoins.
Three storeys, three bays, L-plan with staircase in rear wing. Central moulded door-
case with raised keystone, plain entablature with moulded hood and glazed panelled
door. To either side, glazing bar sashes in flush surrounds with raised fillet to edge.
Above, two similar with central circular traceried window between. Above again,
three small glazing bar sashes with similar surrounds to those below, except central
one has extra moulding. East gable wall has lead gutter with hopper head inscribed
'GB 1774'. West elevation of rear wing has large Venetian staircase window.
Original leaded lights to 2-light windows on east elevation of rear wing. Interior
has fine, turned baluster dog-legged staircase, with wide, ramped, moulded handrail,
through three floors. Moulded cornices and decorative plasterwork bosses to front
rooms on ground and first floors. First floor east room has carved classical stone
fireplace, ground floor east room has large bracketed stone fireplace with fluted
brackets. Original panelled doors throughout with original locks. Attached to
either side of south elevation, coursed squared gritstone garden walls with flat
copings. To either side near the house, flush quoined doorcases with plank doors,
beyond, to south, walls ramp downwards. Attached to rear wing, low rubble wall
with pair of gate piers to end, square in plan and rusticated with moulded cornices,
both partly buried.
Listing NGR: SK2377462084
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings