This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4111 / 51°24'40"N
Longitude: -0.6771 / 0°40'37"W
OS Eastings: 492099
OS Northings: 168840
OS Grid: SU920688
Mapcode National: GBR F98.HM3
Mapcode Global: VHFTM.6SWM
Entry Name: The Former Tote Building to Ascot Racecourse
Listing Date: 26 June 1998
Last Amended: 31 January 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109920
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469414
Location: Sunninghill and Ascot, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL5
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Civil Parish: Sunninghill and Ascot
Built-Up Area: North Ascot
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Ascot Heath
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU96NW HIGH STREET, Ascot
599-1/15/66 (North side)
26-JUN-1998 The former Tote Building
to Ascot Racecourse
Stables, converted to totalisator building. Circa late C19; remodelled and extended as totalisator 1929-30 by Hunt and Steward; altered 1939,1956 and 1979. Red brick with stone dressings. Slate roofs.
PLAN: Long range backing onto street with short wing at east end. In 1929-30 remodelled as tote building retaining the rear wall and central section rebuilt as tote tower facing the racecourse; in 1939 a stepped parapet containing a clock was added to the tower.
EXTERIOR: Two and three storeys. Long north front, the flanking low two-storey ranges and wing to left with oversailing first floors with iron balconies; the central tote tower with large moulded stone cornice, stepped parapet with clock face, and with glazed front with iron balconies. Rear  facing road, has long and low two-storey flanking ranges with shallow three-light windows with cambered arches and string course; central tote tower is large and taller two-storey two-bay block with parapet and moulded stone cornice breaking forwards over brick pilasters, large elliptically arched first floor windows with moulded brick imposts and keyblocks and with recessed panels above and wide rendered band below, over three-light ground floor windows with flat arches. The tote tower is built of orange brick with red brick details.
INTERIOR: Remodelled as luncheon rooms; stairs at back of tote tower have cast-iron balustrades.
NOTE: The late C19 stables at Ascot Racecourse were remodelled as a totalisator building in 1929-39, after the Racehorse Betting Act 1928.
Listing NGR: SU9209968840
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings