This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2758 / 53°16'32"N
Longitude: -1.654 / 1°39'14"W
OS Eastings: 423168
OS Northings: 375479
OS Grid: SK231754
Mapcode National: GBR JZWK.QF
Mapcode Global: WHCCV.KXLL
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 12 July 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109973
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80719
Location: Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, S32
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Stoney Middleton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Stoney Middleton St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 27 NW PARISH OF STONEY MIDDLETON THE NOOK
4/103 (East Side)
12-7-67 Church of St Martin
Parish church. C15 and 1759. 1759 part attributed to Paine by Cox. Partly restored
in 1861, north vestry added 1880. Coursed squared gritstone to west tower.
Coursed squared limestone to body of church. Gritstone dressings and quoins.
Plinth Continuous plain stringcourse at impost level to nave and chancel.
Bracketed eaves to nave aisles, moulded eaves cornice to clerestorey. Hipped and
pyramidal slate roofs. West tower, octagonal nave with ambulatory, projecting
chancel bay and north vestry. C15, two stage western tower has deeply moulded
C19 pointed west doorcase with traceried tympanum. Hoodmould over. To south
side 2-light cusped Y-tracery window with hood. Above to west clock face. In Second
stage four Y-traceried louvred bell openings. Embattled parapets with crocketed corner
pinnacles above. To east C18 octagonal nave has central circular leaded windows
in raised ashlar surrounds to north-east, north-west, south-east and south-west.
To east projecting rectangular chancel bay with semi-circular headed 3-light square
sectioned mullioned window with transome at impost level and projecting keystone
and imposts. To north low vestry with semi-circular headed windows to west and
east. Similar door to west. Above, octagonal clerestory lantern with leaded
diocletian windows across full width of each side. Interior - eight angled piers
with moulded cornice at impost level and moulded arches, supporting central lantern.
Similar chancel arch. Semi-circular piscina to south. Semi-circular headed
vestry door to north. Pyramidal roof trusses. C19 pews in ambulatory facing inwards.
C19 wooden pulpit. 1945 war memorial in stone behind alter. Two brass wall
memorials to Fynney family, one of 1704, the other of 1790. Contrasting marble
wail memorial of 1887 to Rev Urban Smith. Screen between tower and nave
designed 1938, completed 1952. C20 octagonal font with moulded edges and shields
to sides of bowl in tower.
Listing NGR: SK2316875479
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings