This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7305 / 50°43'49"N
Longitude: -3.5302 / 3°31'48"W
OS Eastings: 292100
OS Northings: 93433
OS Grid: SX921934
Mapcode National: GBR P1.8D3S
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H4.VXT
Entry Name: Former Forage Barn (Building 6) Higher Barracks
Listing Date: 8 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469520
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX4
Electoral Ward/Division: Duryard and St James
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter St David
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9293 EXETER HOWELL ROAD
Former forage barn, (Building
6), Higher Barracks
Formerly known as: Town Barracks HOWELL ROAD.
Forage barn, now store. 1794, for the Barrack Department. Brick with weatherboarded front, and a slate pyramidal roof Square, single-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 1-window front range. Weatherboarded front and brick sides, C20 central vehicle doors and small casement window to right of right-hand door. Right-hand return has ground and first-floor window, the latter with C19 metal frame. INTERIOR: has a heavy roof with king post trusses and a wide right-hand side stair with uncut string. HISTORY: Forage barns were important components of cavalry barracks; the only other known examples, more altered than at Exeter, are at Hounslow Barracks, Greater London (qqv). This is a rare component of the least altered example of the cavalry barracks built as part of the first army barrack-building campaign in England, at the start of the Revolutionary War with France.
Listing NGR: SX9210093433
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings