This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7318 / 50°43'54"N
Longitude: -3.5296 / 3°31'46"W
OS Eastings: 292146
OS Northings: 93582
OS Grid: SX921935
Mapcode National: GBR P1.869V
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H4.NRZ
Entry Name: Former Riding School (Building 18) Higher Barracks
Listing Date: 8 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109978
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469522
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX4
Electoral Ward/Division: Duryard and St James
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter St David
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9293 EXETER HOWELL ROAD
Former riding school (Building
18), Higher Barracks
Formerly known as: Town Barracks HOWELL ROAD.
Riding school, now store. 1794, for the Barrack Department. Flemish bond brick with artificial slate roof Rectangular plan. EXTERIOR: single storey; 5-bay range. Round-arched recesses linked by an impost band, with matching windows with C20 metal glazing bars to the sides, 1-window 5 end has an entrance covered by mid C20 flat-roofed shed, with tripartite C19 window above. INTERIOR: has curved lower walls to protect fallen horse, and is ceiled. HISTORY: riding schools were a typical feature of cavalry barracks for practising drill and manoeuvres, and this is, with that at Dorchester in Dorset (qv), the earliest known example in England. Built as part of the first army bafuck-building campaign in Englaftd, the most complete site of its type. Included as part of a group with the former cavalry barracks (qqv) .
Listing NGR: SX9214693582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings