History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former North West Gunners Barracks (Building 11) Wyvern Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Exeter, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7109 / 50°42'39"N

Longitude: -3.5123 / 3°30'44"W

OS Eastings: 293316

OS Northings: 91230

OS Grid: SX933912

Mapcode National: GBR P1.9QYL

Mapcode Global: FRA 37J6.HG8

Entry Name: Former North West Gunners Barracks (Building 11) Wyvern Barracks

Listing Date: 8 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109980

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469524

Location: Exeter, Devon, EX2

County: Devon

District: Exeter

Town: Exeter

Electoral Ward/Division: Priory

Built-Up Area: Exeter

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Heavitree St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Exeter

Listing Text

SX 9391
871/15/10025


EXETER,
TOPSHAM ROAD (North side),
Former NW Gunners' Barracks (Building 11), Wyvern Barracks

GV II

Formerly known as: Topsham barracks TOPSHAM ROAD.
Artillery gunners' barracks, now barracks and offices. 1806, by James Wyatt for the Ordnance Board. Rendered brick with slate hipped roof Single-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2-storey; 7 -window range. Plain inner front to the former square with a doorway 3 windows from the W end with a plate-glass overlight and C20 door; 6/6-pane ground-floor and 8/8-pane first-floor sashes, earlier ones without horns; outer side similar. The brick inner return to the former main entrance has a central doorway with sashes either side and above and a C20 verandah. INTERIOR: altered mid C20; a dogleg stair leads from the entrance. HISTORY: one of a pair of barracks for RA gunner/drivers, with Building 1 (qv), which formed the S perimeter to the former Artillery barracks. Originally L-shaped with the officers' section flanking the entrance, now demolished. Although altered, included as part of the most complete small artillery barracks of the Napoleonic War, defining with the former Officers' range opposite (qv) the central parade square and the original layout of the barracks. (James Colonel H: Plan of Artillery barracks Exeter: 1813-1866; Proceedings of Devon Association for the Advancement of Science: Breihan Professor J: Army Barracks in Devon during the Revolutionary & Napoleonic War: 1990-: 150).


Listing NGR: SX9331691230

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.