This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7399 / 50°44'23"N
Longitude: -1.7143 / 1°42'51"W
OS Eastings: 420252
OS Northings: 93401
OS Grid: SZ202934
Mapcode National: GBR 55D.KCS
Mapcode Global: FRA 7794.1Y5
Entry Name: Former Boundary Wall of Highcliffe Castle Along Lymington Road (From Opposite Nea Road to Former Lodges - with Gap at Entrance to Rothesay Drive)
Listing Date: 12 February 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101535
Location: Christchurch, Dorset, BH23
District Council Ward: Highcliffe
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Highcliffe St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SZ 2093 CHRISTCHURCH LYMINGTON ROAD
748/13/407 Former boundary wall of
12.2.76 Highcliffe Castle along
Lymington Road (from
opposite Nea Road to former
lodges - with gap at entrance
to Rothesay Drive
Former boundary wall to Highcliffe Castle. Circa 1830, repaired C20. Hitch's patent brick in rat-trap and stretcher bond with triangular brick coping and buttresses. About 1.5 m tall, now in four sections. The wall was probably built during Donthorne's remodelling of Highcliffe Castle in 1830-4. In 1828 Caleb Hitch, a Ware [in Herts.] brickmaker, was granted a patent for large interlocking bricks with cavities. They were laid on edge and claimed to be more economical than standard bricks, but because of the complicated form of brick required to turn a corner many different patterns had to be produced. Consequently, they were not widely adopted and outside Ware Hitch bricks are very rare.
Listing NGR: SZ2025293401
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings