This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7399 / 50°44'23"N
Longitude: -1.7098 / 1°42'35"W
OS Eastings: 420576
OS Northings: 93402
OS Grid: SZ205934
Mapcode National: GBR 55F.DLC
Mapcode Global: FRA 7794.3QL
Entry Name: No 181 and Adjoining Gatepost and Railing (Former Lodge to Highcliffe Castle)
Listing Date: 14 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110118
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101537
Location: Christchurch, Dorset, BH23
District Council Ward: Highcliffe
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Highcliffe St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. (South Side)
and adjoining gatepost
(Former lodge to
SZ 2093 13/409 14.10.53.
Several authorities date both lodges (Nos 179 and 181) at 1775 when the house
for the Earl of Bute was built by Adam or Capability Brown, but architectural
appearance that of 1830, when present castle was built. Stuccoed with wide
eaves and hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, road facade with centre, round arched
recess containing blank window space. Flanking side recesses surmounted by panels.
2 windows, those on side facing drive flanked by pilasters with niches, barred
sashes. Small Doric porch. Iron railing and stuccoed gatepost joined to lodge
The former boundary wall of Highcliffe Castle forms a group with Nos 179 and 181,
the milestone opposite and St. Mark's Parish Church, its Lychgate and the War
Memorial in the churchyard.
Listing NGR: SZ2057693402
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings