This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.825 / 50°49'30"N
Longitude: -2.1285 / 2°7'42"W
OS Eastings: 391043
OS Northings: 102837
OS Grid: ST910028
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZX.8NV
Mapcode Global: FRA 66FX.GKT
Entry Name: Cedar Court
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Last Amended: 11 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110160
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103355
Location: Spetisbury, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Spetisbury
Built-Up Area: Spetisbury
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Spetisbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 90 SW BOURNEMOUTH ROAD
8/79 Cedar Court (Formerly
14-7-55 listed as The Rectory)
House, formerly Rectory, 1716, with alterations of c 1800 and mid C19. 1716
work for Dr Charles Sloper, c1800 work for Rev. Thomas Rackett, a noted naturalist
and mid C19 work for Rev. Henry Vizard. Flemish bond brickwork with tiled roofs
partially obscured behind parapets and end brick stacks. Partially 2 and
partially 3 storeys with attics. South west facade symmetrical, 5 bays. 1:3:1.
Central bays have broken pediment. C19 12-pane sashes under flat, gauged brick
arches. Round-headed central doorway with panelled reveals and decorated
fanlight. Panelled door. Flat porch on Corinthian columns and pilasters.
North-east front, near symmetrical, 5 bays. Mostly 18-pane sashes. First floor
left has 12-pane sashes. Ground floor has 2-light casements with leaded-lights.
Large central staircase stair with 52-pane sash. Gauged brick arches. 8-panel
part-glazed, first floor door under flat hood on Doric columns approached up a
flight of steps.
Internal features (RCHM): high quality oak staircase with marquetry inlay, Tuscan
column newels, turned and shaped balusters and moulded handrail; various rooms
with full height bolection-moulded panelling, C18 and C19 fireplaces. (RCHM,
Dorset, vol.III, p.244, no.3. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of
England: Dorset, 1972, p.395. )
Listing NGR: ST9104302837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings