This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8666 / 50°51'59"N
Longitude: -2.2555 / 2°15'19"W
OS Eastings: 382117
OS Northings: 107490
OS Grid: ST821074
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z5.LKL
Mapcode Global: FRA 665T.148
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110163
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103365
Location: Turnworth, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Turnworth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Turnworth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 80 NW MAIN STREET (West side)
4/89 Church of St Mary
Church, C15 west tower, remainder 1869 by G R Crickmay after J Hicks with
some input by Thomas Hardy. Banded flint and rubble with tiled roof having
stone copings. Plan: west tower; nave; chancel; north aisle and organ chamber,
south porch. 2 stage west tower with octagonal north vice, diagonal buttresses
and plain parapet with string bearing gargoyles. To the west is a 4-centred
opening into which a C19 window has been inserted. Above is a 3-light C19
window with pointed head, Perpendicular tracery and a label with head-stops.
The belfry windows are of 2 lights with pointed heads and returned labels.
The main body of the church is windowed with chamfered lancets. The east
chancel window is of 3 graduated, trefoiled lancets. The chancel has a pointed,
chamfered south doorway. The porch has a pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders
with a label terminating in headstops.
Interior: 3 bay arcade with pointed arches having flat soffits and keel mouldings
to the arrises. The arcade is on round piers with moulded bases and carved
capitals in the early French gothic style, said to have been designed by Thomas
Hardy the author. The chancel to organ chamber arch is of a similar pattern.
The chancel arch is again similar but with roll mouldings and springing from
carved angel respond corbels. Restored C15, moulded, pointed tower arch with
continuous outer chamfer and inner mouldings terminating in C19 carved respond
corbels. Chamfered, 4-centred vice doorway. East chancel window has shafted
rear-arch. Scissor-braced nave roof springing from oversized head corbels.
Boarded waggon roof to chancel. Collar-truss roof to aisle. C19 shafted wooden
pulpit. Elaborate c19 font with carved stone biblical scenes. Various c19 and
C20 monuments, some reset including tablet with sarcophagus and weeper to Mark
Davis, died 1832, by Simmonds of Blandford. c19 encaustic tiles; c19 and C20
glass. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.III, p.290 no.1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N., The
Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.430/1.) )
Listing NGR: ST8211707490
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings