This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8476 / 50°50'51"N
Longitude: -2.1557 / 2°9'20"W
OS Eastings: 389137
OS Northings: 105355
OS Grid: ST891053
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZH.V3W
Mapcode Global: FRA 66CV.Q0G
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Last Amended: 11 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110179
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103291
Location: Blandford St. Mary, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Blandford St. Mary
Civil Parish/community: Blandford St Mary
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Blandford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
BLANDFORD ST MARY
ST 80 NE LOWER BLANDFORD ST MARY
5/9 The Old Rectory (formerly
14-7-55 listed as the Vicarage)
Rectory, dated RW 17j2 on staircase, early C19 alterations and north western
extension of 1870. Facade in header bond brickwork with tiled roof having
slate margins and end brick stacks. Coved plaster cornice. 2 storeys with
attics and basements. 5 bay 2:1:2. Flat gauged arches to windows with ] part
keystones. Brick aprons. Upper floor has original 12-pane sashes with thick
moulded glazing bars. Lower floor has replacement 12-pane sashes. Door approached
up semi-circular flight of steps. Doorcase has moulded, lugged architrave and
pilastered surround with open segmental hood borne on double-scroll consoles
with acanthus enrichment above. 8 fielded-panel door. Early C19 canted bays
to rear. C19 extension is in English-bond brickwork and has hipped, tiled roof.
Of 4 irregular window ranges including a projecting bay right. Various sash
and casement windows, some of the ground floor openings having relieving arches.
Near central C20 part-glazed plank door.
Internally the main house has an original oak staircase with ] balusters per
head. These take the form of vases surmounted by Tuscan columns. The newels
are larger Tuscan columns. The spandrels bear carved scrolls. Heavy moulded
handrail. The wooden landing fascia bears arabesques and is dated. There are
various moulded cornices and panelling and several early C19 fireplaces. The
whole house is very similar to some of the larger town houses of Blandford Forum.
(R.C.H.M. Dorset, vol. IV, p.42/], no.]. Newman. J, and Pevsner, N. The
Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.101/2.)
Listing NGR: ST8913705355
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings