History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II Listed Building in Bryanston, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8621 / 50°51'43"N

Longitude: -2.1792 / 2°10'45"W

OS Eastings: 387481

OS Northings: 106970

OS Grid: ST874069

Mapcode National: GBR 1Z8.V5P

Mapcode Global: FRA 66BT.DV0

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1110182

English Heritage Legacy ID: 103303

Location: Bryanston, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

Civil Parish: Bryanston

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Durweston and Bryanston St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Blandford Forum

Listing Text

BRYANSTON
ST 80 NE BRYANSTON OLD BUILDINGS

5/29 Church of St Martin
14-7-55
GV II

Parish church, now school chapel. 1895-8 by E P Warren for Lord Portman.
Ashlar faced brick. Stone, slate, tiled and lead roofs with end stone copings.
Plant west tower, nave, chancel, south chapel and aisle, north chapel and vestry.
Decorated and Perpendicular style. Square-set buttresses. 5-stage west tower
with octagonal vice turret and embattled parapet. Pointed west doorway. Belfry
openings are double pointed with pierced stone lights except to the south face
which has a similar single-light opening. String course continued as a label
over the openings. Nave and aisle windows are generally of 3 or (-lights under
square or pointed heads with Perpendicular tracery. East chancel window of
5-lights.

Internal features; 4-bay south arcade with pointed arches of 2-chamfered orders
dying into elongated octagonal piers. Similar 2 bay north arcade. Pointed tower
and chancel arches. Chancel and south chapel have segmental pointed barrel roofs,
Nave has collar-truss roof. Aisles have lean-to roofs. C20 octagonal marble font.
(F. P. Pitfield, Dorset Parish Churches A-D, 1981, p,125-128. Newman, J. and
Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.121)


Listing NGR: ST8748606969

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.