This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9295 / 50°55'46"N
Longitude: -2.1887 / 2°11'19"W
OS Eastings: 386834
OS Northings: 114466
OS Grid: ST868144
Mapcode National: GBR 1YG.RFJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 669N.94N
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 16 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110192
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103222
Location: Iwerne Minster, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Iwerne Minster
Built-Up Area: Iwerne Minster
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Iwerne Minster St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 8614 IWERNE MINSTER CHURCH ROAD (North Side)
10/132 Church of St Mary
Parish church, north aisle and nave of mid C12 origin, south aisle arcade
late C12, north transept C13 (though possibly remodelling C12 work), tower,
south aisle, south porch and chancel C14, some C15 refenestration, north
vestry and restoration 1870, further restoration and south chapel 1880.
A building of considerable archaeological complexity. 1870 work by
T H Wyatt, 1880 work by Pearson. Ashlar, banded flint and ashlar, chequer
work flint and sqared rubble with ashlar dressings. Tiled and stone-slated
roofs with stone copings. Plan: nave; chancel; north and south aisles;
west tower; south chapel; north transept; south porch; north vestry. West
tower of 2 stages surmounted by one of the few medieval spires in Dorset.
It has square set buttresses and an embattled parapet supported by a corbel
table. Moulded, pointed west door with lancet above and similar lancets to
north and south walls. Belfrey stage has pointed, 2-light, perpendicular
tracery windows. North aisle has pointed C14 windows of one and 2 lights
flanking a central square-headed, 5-light C15 window. The north transept
has 2 C12 round-headed lights, possibly reset. Vestry has round headed
loops. East chancel window of 5 lights under pointed head with C19 curvilinear
tracery. North and south chancel windows are C14 of 2-lights under pointed
heads, those to the south being restored. South chapel has pointed C19
3-light east window with shafted jambs and head with quatrefoil in roundel.
The south windows are C19, pointed, of 2 lights with returned labels.
Diagonal chapel buttress contains niche with C19 sculpture of St George.
Chapel doorway has pointed, trefoiled head and shafted jambs. Over is a
crochetted, pitched label continuous with the string course. Left is a
3-light C19 window with pointed head and curvilinear tracery. South aisle
has has 3-light, square headed C15 window. Parapetted porch with segmental-
pointed arch and moulded pointed inner doorway. Nave has clearstorey of
single light windows and C14 2-light east window.
Internal features: mid C12 north arcade of 3 bays with round arches of 2
plain orders on round piers with scalloped capitals; late C12 3 bay south arcade
with pointed arches, much altered; C12 round north aisle to transept arch;
segmented pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders; pointed tower arch of
3 chamfered orders; north transept has shafted rear arch with stiff-leaf
capital; C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels; C17 pulpit with panelled
sides restored; 4 bay C19 crown-post nave roof; C19 waggon roof to chancel;
C19 collar-truss roof to north transept; flat, ribbed boarded roofs to aisles;
south chapel has lierne vault springing from carved corbels; C17 wall monument
to Robert Fry and family; other fittings largely C19. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV,
p.36-8, no. 1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset,
Listing NGR: ST8683314465
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings