This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9515 / 50°57'5"N
Longitude: -2.1818 / 2°10'54"W
OS Eastings: 387326
OS Northings: 116910
OS Grid: ST873169
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y9.770
Mapcode Global: FRA 669L.KTY
Entry Name: Springhead
Listing Date: 24 June 1985
Last Amended: 28 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110242
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103130
Location: Fontmell Magna, North Dorset, Dorset, SP7
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Fontmell Magna
Built-Up Area: Fontmell Magna
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Fontmell Magna St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
shall be ammended to read:
ST 81 NE FONTWELL MAGNA
House, pair of attached cottages and attached mill house at right angle, now a
house and rural resource centre. House appears late C18, cottages early C19 and
mill early C19. Linking range between house and mill early C20. Mill by
Samuel Bishop. Whitewashed brick walls. House and cottage have thatched roofs,
mill has half-hipped tiled roof. Brick stacks to ends of original range and part
way along roofs of-cottages. House 2 storeys, cottages one and a half storeys,
mill 2 storeys and attics. Original range symmetrical. 3 bays. 2-light casements
with leaded-lights, those to the ground floor under stone lintels with keystones.
Door was probably central originally, it is now in a later addition to the right.
Cottages have a 5-window range. Saw-tooth brick band below dormers. 2-light
casements under segmental heads to ground floor, probably original 3-light casements
with leaded-lights in dormers. C20 glazed doors left and near centre. Mill has
irregular fenestration with casements with glazing-bars. To the right gable wall is
a C20 canted bay. Subsequently to its closure as a mill (1881) the building has
been used as a factory for the making of bottle-stopping machines and the manu-
facture of cheese. During the C20 Springhead became the home of Rolf Gardiner whose
pioneer work in ecological conservation, organic farming and environmental philo-
sophy are perpetuated in the work of the Springhead Trust.
(RCHM, Dorset, Vol IV, p 26, no 31. Brocklebank, Joan 'Springhead, Fontmell Magna:
some Historical Notes', 1982.)
Listing NGR: ST8732616910
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings