This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.057 / 51°3'25"N
Longitude: -2.2844 / 2°17'3"W
OS Eastings: 380166
OS Northings: 128666
OS Grid: ST801286
Mapcode National: GBR 0VG.R83
Mapcode Global: FRA 663B.7VK
Entry Name: Church of St Simon and St Jude
Listing Date: 3 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110302
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102974
Location: Gillingham, North Dorset, Dorset, SP8
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Gillingham
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Milton
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 82 NW GILLINGHAM MILTON-ON-STOUR
3/135 Church of St Simon
and St Jude
Chapel of Ease, 1868 by Slater and Carpenter. Coursed, squared rubble
with gable-ended, tiled roof with stone copings. Plan: nave, apsidal
chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, north vestry/organ chamber.
Generally in the early 'Decorated' style. West tower: 3 stages with
broach spire, sqaure set buttresses and southern vice; 2-centred west
window with geometric tracery and label with headstops; small lancets to
second stage; third stage has paired lancets with roll-mouldings and
pierced stone panels; spire bears quatrefoils. Aisles have trefoiled,
paired lancets. East and west aisle windows have 2-centred heads and
plate tracery. Chancel has lancets with trefoiled heads and labels
with head-stops. Gabled porch with 2-centred moulded arch and shafted
jambs with carved capitals. Inner doorway is roll-moulded and has a
door with scrolled, wrought-iron hinges. External vice door similar.
Internal features: 3-bay arcades with 2-centred heads of 2-chamfered
orders and round piers with carved capitals; 2-centred chancel arch with
shafted jambs having carved capitals and label with head-stops over;
2-centred, moulded tower arch with flat soffit and semi-pilasters with
carved capital to jambs; nave roof has arch braced collar trusses
springing from corbels, queenposts with windbracing to upper purlins and
2 sets of windbraced purlins; chancel has, ribbed, boarded barrel-vault
roof; boarded aisle roofs; roofs are painted with fleurons and other
decoration; arcaded stone pulpit with marble shafts dated 1887; round
font with clustered shafts; pews with carved bench ends; C19/C20 glass.
(Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England; Dorset, Penguin 1972,
Listing NGR: ST8016628666
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings