This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9594 / 50°57'33"N
Longitude: -2.1276 / 2°7'39"W
OS Eastings: 391132
OS Northings: 117777
OS Grid: ST911177
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y5.WCM
Mapcode Global: FRA 66FK.WFK
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 16 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110370
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102850
Location: Ashmore, North Dorset, Dorset, SP5
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Ashmore
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Ashmore St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 91 NW ASHMORE HIGH STREET
11/8 Church of St Nicholas
Parish Church, 1874 by Charles Edwards of Exeter. Chequerwork
greensand and flint. Gable-ended, tiled roof with stone copings.
Ashlar west bellcote. Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle, north
vestry and organ chamber, south porch. In the 'Decorated' style.
All major windows have large, square, projecting impost blocks.
Nave has 2-light windows under 2 centred heads with labels.
Chancel has lancets with labels and 3-light east window. Vestry
and aisle have paired lancets. West wall has 2 lancets with a round
window containing 4 quatrefoils above. Slit cross above. Gabled
porch with moulded 2-centred arch with label. South chancel door
has trefoiled head. Interior: 2-centred chancel arch of 2 chamfered
orders with flat soffit; aisle to vestry arch 2-centred with flat
responds (possibly former chancel arch); chancel to organ chamber
arch is 2-centred with flat jambs having corner shafts; arch braced
collar truss nave roof with king-posts and struts, alternate
principals springing from corbels; similar chancel roof but with
2 levels of cusped windbraces to purlins; corbels carved in relief
by John Skeaping C20; ogee headed piscina; octagonal pulpit with
panelled tracery; C18 font with cauldron shaped bowl on baluster
shaped stem (bowl may be C12); C19 square font bearing crosses in
sunken relief on octagonal pier with marble corner shafts; C19
glass, C18 and C19 wall monuments reset; C20 painted reredos by
W H R Blacking; other fittings largely C19.
(RCHM Dorset, vol IV, p 1/2, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The
Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 78. Pitfield, F P,
Dorset Parish Churches, A-D, Dorset Publishing Company, 1981, p 37-39).
Listing NGR: ST9113217777
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings