This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9471 / 50°56'49"N
Longitude: -2.2523 / 2°15'8"W
OS Eastings: 382368
OS Northings: 116435
OS Grid: ST823164
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y6.FCV
Mapcode Global: FRA 665L.VQD
Entry Name: Church of Unknown Dedication
Listing Date: 16 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110395
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102807
Location: West Orchard, North Dorset, Dorset, SP7
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: West Orchard
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: East Orchard with Margaret Marsh St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 81 NW WEST ORCHARD WEST ORCHARD VILLAGE
5/177 Church of Unknown
Parish Church, chancel late C15, rest 1876. 1876 work by T H Wyatt.
Squared, dressed greensand. Gabled, tiled roof with stone copings
and finials, west bell-cote. C15 work 'Perpendicular' in style,
1876 work part 'Perpendicular' and part 'Decorated'. Plan: nave,
chancel, north and south aisles, south porch and north vestry. 1876
fenestration mainly of 2 lights with 2-centred heads and flowing or
panel tracery with returned labels. Some lancets. C15 east window
of 3 lights under square head with relieving arch; panel tracery.
2 lancets with returned labels to the south. South porch has 2-centred
moulded head and continuously moulded jambs. Inner door is 2-centred
with continuously moulded jambs and a returned label. A door from the
porch to the south aisle has a square moulded head and jambs. Interior
features: 2 bays, 2-centred, moulded arcades on octagonal piers with
moulded capitals and bases; 2-centred moulded chancel arch on half-
piers with moulded capitals and bases; C19 octagonal font with
quatrefoil panels on moulded octagonal pier; stone nave/chancel
dividing wall with integral stone pulpit bearing trefoil headed panels;
ribbed C19 chancel roof with carved bosses springing from dentilled
and moulded wall-plate; C19 arch braced collar beam roof with king
posts; other fittings C19. In the churchyard is the round bowl of
a C12 font.
RCHM, Dorset, vol IV, p 115, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The
Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 446.
Listing NGR: ST8236816435
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings