This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.926 / 50°55'33"N
Longitude: -2.3051 / 2°18'18"W
OS Eastings: 378651
OS Northings: 114101
OS Grid: ST786141
Mapcode National: GBR 0X0.S1T
Mapcode Global: FRA 661N.KRR
Entry Name: The Market House (Premises of a J Hicks)
Listing Date: 13 September 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110509
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102455
Location: Sturminster Newton, North Dorset, Dorset, DT10
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Sturminster Newton
Built-Up Area: Sturminster Newton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sturminster Newton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 7814 STURMINSTER NEWTON
MARKET PLACE (EAST SIDE)
8/167 The Market House
13.9.71 (Premises of A J Hicks)
Shop, C17 origin, largely rebuilt C18, altered C19. Stucco, rubble and brick
(Flemish bond), tile roof with gable ends, brick stacks. 2 storeys and attic,
irregular fenestration pattern. Several C19 shop fronts divided into eliptical
headed lights by round columns with capitals. Variety of casement and sash
windows mostly without glazing bars. Gable dormers with C19 sashes in roof.
The east facade shows remnants of a C17 stone building to the left. This
includes a blocked 3-light square headed stone mullioned window with straight
chamfers. The rest of the wall is of C18 brickwork and shows traces of round
headed arches possibly of aformer arcade. Fenestration is C19. Moulded
bargeboards to gables. The building is on the site of the old market house
and the C17 fragments may be a part of this. According to Hutchings, the
market house burnt down in 1729 (p 344/5). He states the building (presumably
that now standing) was formerly a rectory converted into a dwelling house by
John Bird (p ]j58), J Hutchins "The History and Antiquities of the County of
Dorset; third edition 1868. Reprint E.P,biakefield, 1973. "RCHM, Dorset,
Vol III", HMSO, 1970, p 279, no 19.
Listing NGR: ST7865214099
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings