This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9454 / 50°56'43"N
Longitude: -2.5168 / 2°31'0"W
OS Eastings: 363790
OS Northings: 116346
OS Grid: ST637163
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NL6D
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.TKZ
Entry Name: Britannia Inn
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110650
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104176
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Built-Up Area: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1625 (West Side)
ST 6316 1/235 28.11.50.
Two blocks. That on left hand was originally a school founded by William,
Lord Digby in 1745 for poor girls. 2 storey 5 window stone rubble front
on slight convex curve. Stone slate roof. Wood casements. Those on ground
floor having segmental heads. Commemorative tablet. The right hand block
is probably of similar date, but has had ground floor openings altered.
Later tiled roof. Two hipped dormers. 3 window front. Yard entry at
right hand end.
Premises occupied by A and W Prout, Nos 4, 6, Digby Estate Nos 256 and
257, Britania Inn, Devonia House, Harley House, Penarth House and Pinehaven
form a group with the Old Mitre, Lower Acreman Street.
Listing NGR: ST6379016344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings