History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glenart and Western Range of Hunt's Dairies

A Grade II Listed Building in Sherborne, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.95 / 50°57'0"N

Longitude: -2.5161 / 2°30'57"W

OS Eastings: 363842

OS Northings: 116857

OS Grid: ST638168

Mapcode National: GBR MV.NDCB

Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.MLX

Entry Name: Glenart and Western Range of Hunt's Dairies

Listing Date: 4 October 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1110663

English Heritage Legacy ID: 104114

Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

Civil Parish: Sherborne

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Sherborne

Listing Text

NEWLAND
1.
1625
(South Side)
No 12 [Glenart].
Western range of
No 16 [Hunt's Dairies].
ST 6316 1/198
II GV
2.
2 storey range, C18 or earlier, roof probably of interest. Stone rubble
front with parapet. New plaintiles to roof, one hipped dormer at left
hand end. On right hand of carriageway is "Glenart" which has 2 window
front with sash windows in flush frames. Late Georgian style doorcase
with architrave and pediment. In centre is entry with 3-centred arch with
gauged stone voussoirs; on a beam beneath the arch the following is carved:
"R K 1609". On left hand of the arch, much rubbed, is following painted
inscription: Licensed to let post and saddle horses. On this side also,
and partly cutting into the notice, is a modern shop window. Behind is
a long 2 storey range now occupied by Hunts Dairies. Formerly an annexe
to the New Inn, demolished about 1842.

Nos 8 to 12 (even) and the western range of No 16 (Hunt's Dairies) form
a group with the North wing of Digby Estate Office, Cheap Street.


Listing NGR: ST6384216857

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.