This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9476 / 50°56'51"N
Longitude: -2.5135 / 2°30'48"W
OS Eastings: 364022
OS Northings: 116589
OS Grid: ST640165
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NM03
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.W1J
Entry Name: School Room to South of Congregational Chapel
Listing Date: 4 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110709
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104027
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Built-Up Area: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
School Room to south
of Congregational Chapel
ST 6416 2/412
1851 circa (site bought 1851). Rectangular block of one storey and basement.
Tile gabled roof. Stone walls. Gothic detail. In west front from north
to south, a gable with finial at north end has two 2-centred headed windows
below and one window above. To south again a gabled porch with two-centred
headed entrance; buttresses. To south of porch, upper floor has 5 rectangular
windows of 2-lights with pierced quatrefoils or diamonds over; dripmoulds.
Lower floor or basement has plain 2-light rectangular windows. Branch
spirelet on roof. In front to Long Street, a tall ornate Gothic window
of 4 cusped lights and flowing tracery rises up with gable. To right hand
of it, a plain two-centred headed doorway accessible from another doorway
in a high wall behind an external stair which rises diagonally across the
front of the building to a porch on the upper level at left hand end.
Small gate at entrance to stair has uprights with fleur-de-lys finials.
Premises occupied by Mr E J T Rogers, Congregational Chapel, Dwarf wall,
railings and gates to Congregational Chapel, School room to south of Congregational
Chapel, Cromwell, Belmont, Wistaria House and Dwarf walls and railings
and Thorn Bank form a group.
Listing NGR: ST6402216589
Other nearby listed buildings