This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.948 / 50°56'52"N
Longitude: -2.5118 / 2°30'42"W
OS Eastings: 364144
OS Northings: 116632
OS Grid: ST641166
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NFG7
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.WSK
Entry Name: The White Cottage
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Last Amended: 4 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110711
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104031
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Built-Up Area: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
The White Cottage
(Formerly listed as
ST 6416 2/142 28.11.50.
Stone rubble-construction. Probably late C17 with later pebble-dash finish.
Detached house on corner of St Swithin's Road with 2 storey 5 window front.
Wood casements with lead glazing and original stays and catches. New slate
roof. Gable-ends with stone parapet copings. Two hipped dormers. Doorway
has hood on moulded and voluted brackets 6-panelled door. Within, an early
C18 linen painting of a hunting scene was found beneath 11 layers of wall-
paper (see analysis in Sherborne Museum).
The Red House, Grey Lodge, Forecourt walls and railings to The Red House,
The White Cottage, Wall railings and gate to The White Cottage, Eastbury
House, including carriage entrance to east and garden wall to west, Elizabeth
House, Bracondale, Nos 1 and 2 Cedar Cottages, The Cedars, Garden wall
adjoining The Cedars on the west side, Corby House, Mason Gill, Glenville
and Long Street Post Office form a group.
Listing NGR: ST6414416632
Other nearby listed buildings