This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9472 / 50°56'49"N
Longitude: -2.5141 / 2°30'50"W
OS Eastings: 363980
OS Northings: 116538
OS Grid: ST639165
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NLVM
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.VRN
Entry Name: Old Bank House
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104048
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Built-Up Area: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Old Bank House
ST 6316 1/153 28.11.50.
This adjoins The National Provincial Bank and is a continuation of the
same frontage. C16 to early C17 structure with front and rear elevations
in early C19 Gothic-Revival style. 3 storey stucco front with pebble dash
plinth and pierced parapet with Gothic arcading. Window lights with 4-centred
heads. On second floor, two 2-lights windows. On first floor, splayed
5-light oriel window to left hand with castellated parapet; oversailing
coursed and carved spandrels below cill. On ground floor, doorway with
four-centred moulded arch with carving in spandrels and hoodmould. Recesses
with cast-iron Gothic scrapers before them. To left of doorway, 5-light
window with dripmould; 4-light window to right of doorway. Interior has
moulded ceiling beams and C17 staircase.
Rear elevation has Gothic detail of similar early C19 style. Western part
covered by a rear wing; 2 bays to east. First bay has 2-light window on
second floor, 3-light French casement with balcony on first floor and 3-light
window on ground floor. Second bay has 2-light windows and a Gothic doorway
on ground floor. The original building of the Sherborne and Dorsetshire
Bank which was established mid C18 and amalgamated in 1843 with the National
Provincial Bank of England. (See G H D Pitman, "Exploring Sherborne"
Premises occupied by Mr Pearson, Rose Cottage, former Castle Hotel, The
Bank House, premises occupied by The National Westminster Bank, Old Bank
House, and Abbot's Litten form a group with the timber framed structure
to the rear of No 87 Cheap Street.
Listing NGR: ST6398016538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings