History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Parade

A Grade II Listed Building in Sherborne, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9473 / 50°56'50"N

Longitude: -2.5158 / 2°30'57"W

OS Eastings: 363857

OS Northings: 116550

OS Grid: ST638165

Mapcode National: GBR MV.NLD9

Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.TZ2

Entry Name: The Parade

Listing Date: 4 October 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1110745

English Heritage Legacy ID: 103923

Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

Civil Parish: Sherborne

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Sherborne

Listing Text

CHEAP STREET
1.
1625
(South West Side)
No 78 (The Parade)
ST 6316 1/214
II GV
2.
C19 front and C19 internal alterations to an earlier structure which was
probably built round a courtyard; west wing, probably of C17 date, remains.
3 storey 3 window ashlar front to Cheap Street. Tile gabled roof. Chamfered
quoins. Sash windows to 2nd floor. String at 2nd floor level. Modern
mullioned and transomed window with lead glazing to 1st floor. Modern
shop front on ground floor; to left hand, a late Georgian stone door surround
with Tuscan pilasters supporting an entablature. To the rear elevation,
2 stone tablets at 2nd floor level bearing respectively the initials
"J R" and the date "1698. AD 1566" respectively. A rear wing to south
connects front block to a north-south wing at west end of courtyard.
Stone slate roof. Stone rubble walls. Facing west, modern leaded casements
and a 2-light stone mullioned casement; section with the roof at south
end with one other 4-light leaded casement.

Nos 54 and 56, Gate, lamp and overthrow between Nos 54 and 56, The Methodist
Church and Nos 58 to 82 (even) form a group.


Listing NGR: ST6385716550

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.