This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9469 / 50°56'48"N
Longitude: -2.5157 / 2°30'56"W
OS Eastings: 363867
OS Northings: 116512
OS Grid: ST638165
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NLGM
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.V1T
Entry Name: Bow House
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103930
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 6316 1/72 28.11.50.
Part of Sherborne School since 1916. C16 or C17, much restored and altered
late C19 to early C20 and later. 2 storeys and attic. Stone slate roof
with 3 hipped dormers. Coved cornice and carved fascia, from photographic
evidence of late C19 to early C20 date. 1st floor of plaster and applied
timber-framing; ground floor of stone. 3 window bays. 4-light casements
with modern leaded glazing to 1st floor. On ground floor, from left to
right hand end, two 2-tier, 2-light casement windows with diamond and lozenge
shaped lead glazing; door with cover strips at right hand end. Once The
Sun Inn. Large wrought iron lamp bracket at south angle of building.
Bow House, The Cemetery Gate, The Abbey Gate House, No 2 including premises
occupied by Gilham Bros, No 3 including premises occupied by Gilham Bros
form a group with No 88, The Conduit, No 90 and Saints John Building (The
Parade), Cheap Street.
Listing NGR: ST6386516513
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings