This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9473 / 50°56'50"N
Longitude: -2.5166 / 2°30'59"W
OS Eastings: 363806
OS Northings: 116559
OS Grid: ST638165
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NL6T
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.TMQ
Entry Name: Private School House at Sherborne School. Boy's School House at Sherborne School.
Listing Date: 4 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103835
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Built-Up Area: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1625 (South East Side)
Boy's school House at
ST 6316 1/283 Sherborne School.
Built 1860 to the design of R C Carpenter. 2 storeys and attic. Stone
slate roof. Rough ashlar wall.
Private School House: facing South, six 2-light hipped dormers. Stacks
with 3 octagonal stone shafts. From right to left hand, bay one has 2-light
mullioned window above and a single light window below, bay two has 2-light
windows above and below, bay three has 3-light windows above and below,
bay four has a 2-light window above and a wide gabled porch on ground floor.
5th and 6th bays blank on first floor; on ground floor, large splayed 3-sided
bay window with embattled parapet; added 1884. Facing west, gable at South
end with splayed bay rising through ground and first floors; small attic
window. To north of this, 2 hipped attic dormers; 3-light window on first
floor and on ground floor another splayed bay with embattled parapet, the
later an addition by Benjamin Ingelow, 1899-1700.
Boy's School House: divided externally from Private School House by a low
wall. At South end, passageway with wide pointed moulded arch at entrance
with 2-light stone mullioned window above. To north of this, ten window
bays. Hipped dormers of 3-lights. Ashlar stacks. 3-light windows on
first floor; on ground floor, 2-light windows in 3rd, 5th, 7th, 8th and
10th bays, 4-light window in 9th bay, rectangular bay of 5 lights in 6th
bay and windows of 3-lights elsewhere. Moulded stringcourse above ground
The following buildings of Sherborne School surround the greens immediately
to the north of the Abbey Church of St Mary and form a group with themselves
and with the Abbey Church of St Mary.
Listing NGR: ST6373316544
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings