This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.947 / 50°56'49"N
Longitude: -2.5161 / 2°30'57"W
OS Eastings: 363841
OS Northings: 116520
OS Grid: ST638165
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NLC9
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.TWL
Entry Name: Oak Room at Sherborne School
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Last Amended: 4 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103837
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1. ABBEY ROAD ROAD -
(South East Side)
Oak Room at
(Formerly listed as
ST 6316 1/8 28.11.50.
This adjoins the Bell Building and was part of an extension dating from
1670. Part was demolished in 1835, when the Bell Buildings were erected.
2 storey; the upper floor formerly housed the library. West face is in
slight recession from School House Dining Hall. Stone slate roof. Too
3-light stone mullioned windows above and three 2-light stone mullioned
windows below. Tablet on this wall bears the inscription. "John Whetcombe
ye elder Warden 1670".
The following buildings of Sherborne School surround the greens immediately
to the north of the Abbey Church of St Mary and form a group with themselves
and with the Abbey Church of St Mary.
Listing NGR: ST6384116520
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings