This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.946 / 50°56'45"N
Longitude: -2.5181 / 2°31'5"W
OS Eastings: 363699
OS Northings: 116412
OS Grid: ST636164
Mapcode National: GBR MT.NRW0
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.SZM
Entry Name: Nowell House
Listing Date: 4 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110804
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103857
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Built-Up Area: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 6316 1/31
C18 with alterations and modern pebble-dash finish. 2 storey 4 window
front; southern 3 bays set slightly back. Plaintile roof formerly with
stone tiles at eaves on north end. Two hipped dormers. Sash windows,
mostly later frames without glazing bars. Stone door surround has moulded
architrave and pediment on voluted console brackets. Deep keystone connects
door-head to underside of pediment. 6-panelled door with rectangular fanlight.
Panelled reveals. Stone plaque under northernmost first floor window bears
following inscription: "'This house in which he spent his last years was
given to Sherborne School by William James Bensly. A Shirburnian well
loved as boy and master. 1888- 1943".
Pineska, Salem, No 7, G F S Room, All Hallows, Askwith House, Nowell House,
Digby Estate Nos 207, 208 and 209 and two outbuildings to South of Digby
Estate No 209 form a group with west return of Premises occupied by Mr
Hunt, Trendle Street.
Listing NGR: ST6369916412
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings