This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8307 / 50°49'50"N
Longitude: -2.1107 / 2°6'38"W
OS Eastings: 392298
OS Northings: 103471
OS Grid: ST922034
Mapcode National: GBR 312.TCZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 66GW.X3S
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103746
Location: Tarrant Crawford, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Tarrant Crawford
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Tarrant Keynston with Tarrant Crawford All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 90 SW
5/25 Church of St Mary
Parish church, C12 chancel, C13 nave and refenestration, porch and further
refenestration C15, tower and nave roof early C16. Flint and rubble, in part
banded with ashlar dressings, part rendered. Tiled and stone-slate roofs.
Plan: nave; chancel; west tower, north porch. West tower; unbuttressed, of
2 stages, separated by weathered strings; 2-light pointed west window with Y
tracery; 2-light Perpendicular, square-headed belfry windows with returns
from parapet string which serves as a label; embattled parapet. Nave and
chancel have mainly C13 2-light, trefoiled windows. The north nave has 2
Perpendiular tracery 2 and 3-light windows under squared heads, that to the
west with a stopped label. The east window is of 3 graduated lancets under a
common pointed head. South chancel wall has a blocked C12 doorway with a
rebuilt, pointed head. The south nave wall has a C13 chamfered, pointed
doorway, now blocked. North doorway is of a similar pattern. The porch has
a pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into the responds.
Interior features: pointed tower arch of one chamfered order dying into responds;
C16 wagon roof with arched braced trusses and chamfered wall-plates to nave;
C19 collar-beam truss to chancel; late C17 communion rails with turned balusters;
C17 panelling reset as dado in chancel; altar flanked by 2 reset C13 coffin lids;
other C13 coffin lids reused in other parts of the church; C17 octagonal pulpit
with 2 levels of panelling and chip carved guilloche frieze; pews of reused C17
moulded panelling; early C14 wall paintings one set depicting acts of St Margaret
of Antioch and another an allegory of three living and three dead plus other
smaller fragments; 2 medieval piscinae; C16 square font on square pedestal with
C16 pyramidal timber cover; reset medieval chancels with slip decoration in
chancel; some C15 glass.
A very unspoilt church retaining many medieval features. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV,
p.86/7, no.1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England; Dorset,
Listing NGR: ST9229803471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings