History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mount Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Purleigh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6796 / 51°40'46"N

Longitude: 0.6607 / 0°39'38"E

OS Eastings: 584046

OS Northings: 201220

OS Grid: TL840012

Mapcode National: GBR QMP.RTM

Mapcode Global: VHJKK.D1NR

Entry Name: Mount Cottage

Listing Date: 30 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1110853

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117425

Location: Purleigh, Maldon, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Purleigh

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Purleigh All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodham Mortimer

Listing Text

PURLEIGH HOWE GREEN ROAD
TL 80 SW
(west side)
1/97 Mount Cottage
­ II
House. C18, extended in C20. Timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded,
roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing NE, with central stack,
forming a lobby-entrance. Lean-to extension to rear left, forming a catslide,
and C20 flat-roofed 2-storey extension in rear right angle. C20 flat-roofed
single-storey extension to rear of both. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 C19
casements. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 16 lights, with crown glass.
Half-glazed late C19 door in C20 gabled porch. Weatherboarded to first-floor
level, plastered above. 2 large wood-burning hearths back to back, of 0.23
metre brickwork. Transverse plain joists of vertical section, supported by C20
beam in left bay. Primary straight bracing. Good series of chisel-cut
carpenter's assembly marks on studding of rear wall. Pegged and jointed
hardwood frame. The court rolls record occupation of this messuage, with one
acre, by John Johnson 13 October 1752, and by later occupants on 16 October
1780, 13 June 1813, 11 December 1837 and 6 December 1841. A modern shield on
the front elevation is inscribed 1761; no documentary evidence is known relating
to this date (Essex Record Office, D/DHR M114).


Listing NGR: TL8404601220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.