History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Purleigh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6879 / 51°41'16"N

Longitude: 0.6512 / 0°39'4"E

OS Eastings: 583355

OS Northings: 202116

OS Grid: TL833021

Mapcode National: GBR QMP.3FX

Mapcode Global: VHJKC.7TMY

Entry Name: Mill House

Listing Date: 30 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1110855

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117429

Location: Purleigh, Maldon, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Purleigh

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Purleigh All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodham Mortimer

Listing Text

PURLEIGH MILL LANE
TL 80 SW
(east side)
1/101 Mill House
GV II
House. Late C18. Timber framed, weatherboarded with facade of red brick in
Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. T-plan facing SW, with
external stacks in both rear angles and at end of rear wing. Early C19
extension in left rear angle. 2 storeys. 4-window range of original sashes,
some with crown glass, with flat brick arches over the ground-floor windows, and
a blocked window over the central door. Flush 6-panel door, the top 2 panels
glazed, with fluted pilasters, fluted frieze with paterae, and dentilled
pediment. Moulded eaves cornice. Original stair with stick balusters.
Chamfered axial beams in main range and rear wing, with elongated lamb's tongue
stops. Exceptionally unaltered outside and inside. (See item 1/101). The
court rolls of Le How manor first record this second tenement on the site on 12
March 1799, the first having been built by the same owner, Roger Cook, soon
after March 1778. As a miller he appears to have built first a simple cottage
for his own occupation, and within 20 years to have built this more fashionable
house alongside for his own use, and to have let the original cottage (Essex
Record Office, D/DU 377/5).


Listing NGR: TL8335502116

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.