This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6648 / 51°39'53"N
Longitude: 0.6487 / 0°38'55"E
OS Eastings: 583274
OS Northings: 199542
OS Grid: TQ832995
Mapcode National: GBR QMW.GV9
Mapcode Global: VHJKK.6F84
Entry Name: Stow Hall
Listing Date: 30 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110860
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117444
Location: Stow Maries, Maldon, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Stow Maries
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Stow Maries St Mary and St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
STOW MARIES THE STREET
TQ 89 NW
4/119 Stow Hall
House. Early C17, extended in C19. Timber framed and plastered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles; C19 additions in red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with
slate. 6 bays facing SE with axial stack in third bay from right end, forming a
lobby-entrance, and internal stack at left end. Large late C19 extension to
front, with 2 internal stacks symmetrically arranged, and late C19 wing to rear.
2 storeys. 5-window range of late C19 sashes of 4 lights. Central 4-panel
door in late C19 gabled porch. The front elevation has a small gable between 2
large gables. In the original building jowled posts, curved tension braces
trenched inside heavy studs, face-halved and bladed scarfs in the wallplates,
butt-purlin roof with cranked collars. Chamfered transverse and axial beams
with broach stops, plain joists of vertical section orginally plastered to the
soffits, now exposed. Each ground floor room is of 2 bays, of unusual height.
The partition between the left and middle rooms has been removed and rebuilt in
the C20. 2 large wood-burning hearths on the ground floor, both altered, and
another blocked. In the N corner of the right ground-floor room a small area of
original wall-painting, the design of black lines on white, with red and orange.
In the front of the main stack a C17/18 battened door with cockshead hinges,
removed from the upper floor, and in the stack a cupboard with butterfly hinges.
The upper storey also is of unusual height. Wood-burning hearth with chamfered
jambs and mantel beam with lamb's tongue stops, originally plastered, now
stripped, reduced and containing a cast iron ducknest grate, c.1800. The attic
floor is original, constructed similarly to the first floor, but the attic is
not now lit or occupied. The whole timber structure is unusually massive for
its date. A conveyance of 1623 describes the house, then called Potters, as
'lately built' (Essex Record Office, D/Dc 27/741). RCHM 2.
Listing NGR: TQ8327499542
Other nearby listed buildings