History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hazeleigh Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Hazeleigh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7016 / 51°42'5"N

Longitude: 0.6353 / 0°38'7"E

OS Eastings: 582204

OS Northings: 203604

OS Grid: TL822036

Mapcode National: GBR QMG.CFL

Mapcode Global: VHJKB.YHRD

Entry Name: Hazeleigh Grange

Listing Date: 30 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1110870

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117380

Location: Hazeleigh, Maldon, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Hazeleigh

Built-Up Area: Woodham Mortimer

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Woodham Mortimer with Hazeleigh

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodham Mortimer

Listing Text

HAZELEIGH BURNHAM ROAD
TL 80 SW
(south side)
1/22 Hazeleigh Grange
GV II

House. Early C17, extended in C17/C18 and early C19. Timber framed,
weatherboarded and plastered, partly of painted brick, roofed with slate. 3
bays facing E, with central stack forming a lobby-entrance. C17/C18 service
range to rear of central and right bays. Early C19 range to front, comprising
central entrance/stair hall and one room each side, with 2 internal stacks at
rear. Single-storey extensions with hipped roofs at each side of front block.
2 storeys with cellars. Ground floor, 2 C20 French windows. First floor, 3
mid-C19 sashes of 4 lights with some handmade glass. Central double doors,
half-glazed, in early C19 portico with 2 fluted columns, and conventional
ornament on frieze and soffit. Hipped roofs of shallow pitch with long
overhanging eaves. Curved primary tension bracing. The original building and
the rear extension have chamfered transverse beams with lamb's tongue stops, and
plain joists of vertical section. 2 large wood-burning hearths, much altered in
C20. The original front had oriel or frieze windows at both storeys, blocked by
the early C19 range, now exposed internally, with jambs and mullions of refined
ovolo section. Roof of original building rebuilt to a lower pitch with some
evidence remaining that the attic was lit and used. The entrance hall has the
original early C19 stair, with stick balusters. Original folding shutters. The
house was described in a detailed sale catalogue of 1817, at which time it had
recently reached its present form, except that it was then stuccoed. It was
known as Hazeleigh Cottage, and was the farmhouse of a farm of 54 acres, mainly
freehold. In 1717 it was called the White House. (Essex Record Office, D/DOp
B.123/40 and D/AER 30/171).


Listing NGR: TL8220403604

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.