History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Green End

A Grade II Listed Building in Purleigh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6839 / 51°41'1"N

Longitude: 0.6556 / 0°39'20"E

OS Eastings: 583679

OS Northings: 201682

OS Grid: TL836016

Mapcode National: GBR QMP.BLM

Mapcode Global: VHJKC.9YZ1

Entry Name: Green End

Listing Date: 30 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1110880

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117410

Location: Purleigh, Maldon, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Purleigh

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Purleigh All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodham Mortimer

Listing Text

PURLEIGH CHAPEL LANE
TL 80 SW
(west side)
1/82 Green End
GV II

House, converted to range of 3 cottages, now one house. Early C18, divided into
2 tenements in late C18, extended by a third tenement in early C19, combined in
C20. Timber framed with later brick infill, plastered and weatherboarded, and
plastered brick, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing SE with
central stack, originally forming a lobby-entrance, now blocked. Early C19
extension to left. C20 lean-to extension along full length of rear. One storey
with attics. 3 C20 casements in C19 apertures with segmental heads, and 3 C20
casements in gabled dormers. One C20 door in C19 doorway with segmental arch,
and a similar doorway converted to a casement in the C20. Gambrel roof. Facade
of plastered brick to the original building, C19 extension of plastered brick.
Right return weatherboarded. Primary straight bracing. Axial beams, plain
joists of vertical section. In original house, 2 wood-burning hearths back to
back. In left extension, a small coal-burning hearth without grate on each
floor. The court rolls of Le How manor show that this plot was enclosed from
the lord's waste in 1701, the original house was built by 1704, it was divided
into 2 tenements before 1779, and extended to 3 tenements between 1813 and 1821
(Essex Record Office, D/DU 377).


Listing NGR: TL8367901682

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.