This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9113 / 51°54'40"N
Longitude: 0.9283 / 0°55'41"E
OS Eastings: 601506
OS Northings: 227687
OS Grid: TM015276
Mapcode National: GBR SN0.1J3
Mapcode Global: VHKG0.17L5
Entry Name: Church of St Johns (Church of Engalnd)
Listing Date: 30 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117280
Location: Colchester, Essex, CO4
Electoral Ward/Division: Highwoods
Built-Up Area: Colchester
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Colchester St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. IPSWICH ROAD
TM 02 NW
SP/19/636 Church of St John
(Church of England)
Church of St John, 1864, by Arthur Blomfield. Of red and gault brick with
stone dressings and peg tile gabled roofs. High Victorian Gothic "Early"
details consists of nave, chancel and porch/northern with hipped roofs and
circular bell turret with conical roof. Chancel has straight east end and
is slightly narrower than nave. Internally the walls are of red and gault
brick with chancel and tower arches of two orders. Chancel and tower arches
have detached ringed purbeck marble shafts with 'wind blown' foliated capitals.
Nave roof has double side purlins supported on principal rafters with saldive
bracing enclosing sexfoils. Drum shaped font on central cylindrical shaft
with eight detached peripheral shafts of polished marble. Arabesques of pitch
inlay on drum.
Listing NGR: TM0150627687
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings