This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6754 / 51°40'31"N
Longitude: 0.8607 / 0°51'38"E
OS Eastings: 597886
OS Northings: 201276
OS Grid: TL978012
Mapcode National: GBR RP9.VT9
Mapcode Global: VHKH3.V4VZ
Entry Name: Asheldham Youth Church church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 30 December 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119188
Location: Asheldham, Maldon, Essex, CM0
Civil Parish: Asheldham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
TL 90 SE ASHELDHAM HALL ROAD
5/2 Church of St. Lawrence
(Asheldham Youth Church)
Youth church, former Parish Church. C14, Chancel Nave and West Tower rebuilt on
earlier site, C19 Chancel east wall rebuilt in red brick, South Porch added.
C20 conversion to a youth church with service wing to north of Nave. Septaria
and Roman brick stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel, C19 east
window of 3 trefoiled lights with tracery over in a 2 centre arched head, small
single C14 trefoiled window to north wall, small single C14 trefoiled ogee light
to south wall to east of which is a C14 2 centre arched doorway with moulded and
shafted jambs, label and head stops. Nave north wall buttressed at angles. C19
west window with 2 centre arched head, C14 cinquefoiled ogee east window. South
wall, buttressed at angles. 2 C19/C20 windows that to east 2 light with
cinquefoil over, 2 centre arched head, moulded label and head stops. Western
window blocked, segmental pointed head and label. C19 gabled south porch with
moulded segmental arch. C14 south doorway with double chamfered jambs and
moulded 2 centre arched head and label. Crenellated west tower of 3 stages,
buttressed at angles, there is a change in wall building above the buttresses,
west face with small C14 trefoiled ogee light and a stone panel with tiny
quatrefoil light to north. North wall has a small vertical flat headed light of
Roman brick. C14 single trefoiled light to each face of bell chamber. Interior.
Chancel, now a dormitory, plastered 7 cant roof, plain central tie beam. South
east, moulded 2 centre arched head to blocked doorway. South west, moulded 2
centred arched head, label and headstops. Floor slab to Philip, son of Rev.
Philip Ranshaw 1691. No Chancel arch. Nave, plastered 7 cant roof, segmental
arched head to north doorway leading into C20 service wing. North C14 2 centre
headed doorway and stairs to former rood loft. Tall light at top of rood loft
stairs. West of the stair base is a niche with a chamfered 2 centred head. C20
crenellated and moulded rood beam. 2 piscina to south wall, that in splay of
south doorway C14 with trefoiled ogee head and round drain, the other similar,
under south window with octofoil drain. West tower, C14 east doorway with
double chamfered jambs and 2 centred head. Wide window splay with 2 centred
arch under a segmental arch. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TL9788601276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings