This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7162 / 51°42'58"N
Longitude: 0.6376 / 0°38'15"E
OS Eastings: 582299
OS Northings: 205237
OS Grid: TL822052
Mapcode National: GBR QM9.60X
Mapcode Global: VHJKC.04D5
Entry Name: Monument, Approximately 7 Metres North East of North East Corner of North Vestry,church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110993
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119133
Location: Woodham Mortimer, Maldon, Essex, CM9
Civil Parish: Woodham Mortimer
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Woodham Mortimer with Hazeleigh
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 80 NW WOODHAM MORTIMER MALDON ROAD
3/145 Monument, approx. 7
metres north east of
north east corner of
north vestry, Church of
Table tomb. Circa 1683. Stone. Moulded base and top slabs. 2 side panels to
north an south faces, the central pilaster moulded, end pilasters carved with
skulls, hour glasses, picks and shovels. Coat of arms to west end. The long
inscription begins, "These verses were found, made written and ordered by Doctor
Peter Chamberlen here entered for his epitaph", relates matters of family and
the reigns of Monarchs during his life 8 May 1601-22 December 1683. Dr.
Chamberlen lived at Woodham Mortimer Hall, he inherited his family's secret of
short midwifery forceps, in 1818 several midwifery instruments were found in an
old chest in Hall.
Listing NGR: TL8229905237
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings